Congratulations on your new home! Closing on a home is an undeniably stressful experience.
A very high percentage of people move on the day they complete the purchase of their new home. They’ve just come through an experience that can be very tense, yet they pitch into an activity that’s very tiring and requires a gazillion decisions to be made. It would be helpful if the move could take place the next day. Everyone in the family should be prepared for the time line in advance.
Allot enough time for packing. Allow more time than you think you’ll need. Be sure each family member has a few special possessions with them and not among the things handled by the movers.
Discuss it with your family. Take your time. Have a plan. Keep your cool. You just purchased a home so be happy!
MOVING HOUSE CHECKLIST – TWO WEEKS TO GO
- Advise your children’s school and have transfer documents sent to your new school
- Contact government agencies and notify them of your new address and date of move
- Inform your doctor, dentist and other medical specialists of your move. Collect your records or request transfer to your new practitioners
- Start notifying businesses and your service providers of your intended change of address
- Consume your supplies of frozen and perishable foods
- Confirm details with the removal company – times for pack, move; unpack, clean, details of storage, insurance etc.
- Arrange to disconnect and connect your essential services, gas, water, phone and electricity.
- Arrange Post Mail Redirection Service application to redirect your mail to your new address
- Transfer all home deliveries to new address
- Arrange childcare or pet care for your moving day if necessary
- Repair and clean the general household
- Start disposing the flammables and out-of date materials from under the kitchen sink, garage, laundry
- MOVING HOUSE CHECKLIST – ONE WEEKS TO GO
- Send e-cards to everyone with your new details
- Collect instruction books for stove, dishwasher, security system and leave for new owner
- Cancel or change local services such as lawn mowing services, newspaper deliveries etc.
- Keep a bag free with all the things you’ll need for your unpacking and cleaning
- Keep a few things out for the kids on move day
- Have your gas bottle purged
- Clean oven
- Clean out medicine cabinet
- Secure electrical items and make sure safe to move
MOVING HOUSE CHECKLIST – MOVE DAY
- Place all suitcases and essential items you need in one specified place so they are not loaded in the removal van, eg. bathroom or car
- Set aside and carry all valuables and important papers and passports with you
- Pack your essentials in the last cardboard box
- Ensure children and pets are safe and out of harm’s way
- Turn off the gas at the meter, the electricity at the switchboard and water at the tap – make sure all cleaning is finished first
- Do a final walk through with the packing team
- Tighten taps before you leave
- Leave a note at your old address with your forwarding address details
- Lock all doors and windows as you leave